10.15.2013

kale, bean, broccoli and chicken soup

Today I'm sharing a recipe for a healthy soup. I scoured all over pinterest for a soup that had kale in it. I found several I liked but never had the ingredients to complete all of the recipes. I decided I'd take what ingredients I had and throw something together. It turned out pretty nice and was easy to make. win. win.

Before I share all the ingredients keep in mind that you can buy canned items instead of cooking everything from scratch. Also, if you don't have all of the ingredients substitute something out that sounds good to you or just leave out an item. Lastly, if you are vegetarian omit the chicken and chicken broth and you will still have a great tasting soup.

Ingredients 

  • 1 T. olive oil
  • 1/4 onion - minced
  • 1 T. garlic - minced
  • 1 1/2 c. chicken broth
  • 2 c. water
  • 1 T. Italian Season
  • 1 T. lemon juice
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. pepper
  • 1 chicken breast or 1 can of chicken
  • 1/2 c. navy beans uncooked or 1 can of cooked navy beans
  • 1 head of broccoli chopped
  • 1 bunch of kale chopped



Directions

  • If you have the uncooked navy beans cook them in a separate pan according to the directions on the package.
  • Heat the olive oil and sauté the onions and garlic for 3-5 minutes. Add in the chicken broth, water, Italian seasoning, lemon, salt and pepper. 
  • Place the chicken breast directly into the broth and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Once the chicken is cooked shred it and put it back in the pot with the broth. (Did you know you can shred chicken in a blender? It takes literally 1-2 seconds)
  • Add the broccoli and kale and cook on low to medium heat for 10-15 minutes. 

That's it! It's super simple, healthy and tastes delicious. I served some naan (also easy to make) with the soup. You can find that recipe by clicking here.

What's your favorite soup? Do you have any favorite kale recipes? For more yummy recipes check out this recipe link up!

3 comments:

  1. Okay, Kale in ANYTHING is amazing, but this looks so good! I'll have to try it out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been wanting to try a kale recipe... this looks so good! Glad you linked up with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just made chicken, brown rice and kale soup a couple of days ago! I never thought of adding beans!!!!
    So delicious sounding! I'm on it!
    Your blog is lovely!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS