1.13.2014

Daily Prayer Topics


Hi, friends! How was your weekend? I hope it was a restful one. Dave and I spent some time exploring OKC. We went to the Oklahoma Historical Museum (I actually really enjoyed part of it), did some hiking and went to a famous stop on Route 66 called 'Pops'. I'll be sharing some pictures soon.

Today I want to talk a little bit about prayer. I think God's Word and prayer are the two most powerful and precious resources God has given us. As wonderful as these two gifts are, I find myself struggling to be consistent with prayer. It's something I want to work on and I've had various people tell me it is something they want to work on as well. I want to share with you something called 'daily prayer topics' as it has really helped Dave and I when we pray together.

Sometime this past fall I must have been thinking and brainstorming about prayer and randomly, the idea of 'daily prayer topics' popped into my head. I immediately started picking rhymes and weird words to help me nail down a topic for each day. It sounds weird (and probably is a bit weird) but it works great. I'm going to go ahead right now and give God credit for these daily prayer ideas. I even asked Dave how I came up with these ideas and he couldn't remember either. God knows I struggle with my prayer life but He knows I desire so much to pray and fellowship with Him more. I think these tools are a way to draw me closer to Him and to be intentional in praying for others. Dave and I pray together daily and while there is nothing wrong with a 'free for all prayer', having some structure has been very beneficial for us. I hope these help you with your prayer life like they have helped me.

Daily Prayer Topics

Missionary Mondays - Dave and I pray for our missionary friends serving around the world as well as those in our community who are our mission field. 

Tuesday - 'Just the Two of Us' - A day for us to pray for our marriage and to ask for God, not us alone, to build our marriage 

Wednesday - 'Our Weird Woved Ones' - I honestly don't think the majority of my family is weird but this is the only rhyme I could come up with. This day is set aside to pray for all our family. Dave and I often throw in a thankful prayer that we are in the family of God. 

Thankful Thursdays - A day to thank God for his blessings.

Friday - Friends - A day to pray for all our amazing friends! 

Salvation Saturdays - A day to thank God for salvation and to pray for those who still need to be saved. 

Savior Sundays - A day to reflect and praise Jesus, our Savior. 

I'm also in the process of organizing this list for my own prayer time. I've found that writing a note in my iPhone works best for me because it is always with me and I can pull that list out at any time.

Do you have any tips on how to be more consistent about prayer? Any new ideas for the 'days of the week' prayer theme? Do you have a prayer request? I'd be happy to pray for you. Just leave a comment or you can always e-mail me at sunshine2thesquareinch@gmail.com


10 comments:

  1. I love your intentionality behind this and i love even more that you and Dave pray together. I hope one day that prayer is something Michael and I can do together :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this--so simple and so great. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Kelsea. I hope you and your husband can eventually pray together over time. Sometimes things like that take some time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are great daily topics! I have tried to do this in the past but always end up forgetting the daily topic or something. I guess a tip I have for consistency with prayer is to make it a priority and add it to a calendar on your phone! I know it might sound silly to have a calendar reminder for prayer, but sometimes it's what I need to keep me away from the distractions of life and focus on Him for some time. :) Another thing I like is having prayer requests from friends/family/bloggers because it helps me to pray for others more so than usual. I shared your little schedule ideas with my boyfriend and we're going to try something similar!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Meredith. I think you are right in making it a priority. It's almost like it needs to be a discipline. I like the idea of setting a reminder on my phone. I'll have to try that and see if it helps. I hope the daily topics work well with you and your bf. Prayer is something that are a must in all relationships.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great idea! I like how easy it is to remember when you label them like that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the idea of prayer topics! I am actually planning a post on prayer because I have a. Few new things I'm doing this year to be more intentional about it! You're great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! I can't wait to read your ideas.

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS