5.23.2014

Photography Friday Week 20 - My Hometown: Wichita, Kansas


WEEK 20! I can hardly believe 20 weeks have gone by! I just want to say a huge THANKS if you have read my posts, commented, and linked up. Also I really appreciate the great feedback and suggestions on my photos. I can definitely tell that it has helped me in my photography journey. This is the first photography post where I used Lightroom to edit. I'm still learning but am enjoying it so far. 
_____________________________________________


Wichita. Kansas. When I hear those two words my heart gets the instant ‘home’ feeling. Wichita is where I lived a majority of my life. It’s where my parents are. It’s where my sister, granny, nephew and many other family members reside. It’s where Dave and I met … at the age of 9. It’s where I have so many fond memories. It’s where I travel home to most weekends. It’s home!

Today I’m so happy to share with you some pictures from my hometown. I even got up at 6:30am one weekend to take these pictures and it was wonderful, probably my most favorite photo shoot yet! The morning was quiet, there weren’t lots of people out and I, of course, ended up at a coffee shop where I had some good java and spent some time in the Word.

This first group of pictures were taken downtown. If you want more history on the Keeper of the Plains check it out here




College Hill - My favorite area of Wichita



If you are looking for some amazing coffee in the Wichita are you need to head over to Reverie Coffee Roasters. They roast their beans in house and can really make a delicious cup of coffee. I normally put a lot of sugar in my lattes but these are so good I only add a teeny bit. Another great thing about Reveries is that they have a pay it forward board. You pay for a coffee of your choice, the barista will write it on a coffee sleeve and then pin it to a board. Anyone can come in and take a free coffee off the board. If you are in the Wichita area you need to go visit! 








Where is home for you? 
What is your hometown like?
Do you have a favorite picture from my post? Any suggestions? recommendations?
_____________________________________________

If you have a photography post ready please put it in the comment section and I'll stop by and see your lovely photos.

                                               Sunshine to the Square Inch



PS  - I'm offering 25% off all advertisements through the weekend! wahoo! Use code WEEKEND. 

17 comments:

  1. AHHH Becka these photos are gorgeous! I would say your photography skills are getting pretty amazing! Seriously your best photography Friday post yet! I love the look of that coffee house, all the bicycles brick walls and the beautiful ceiling! The pay it forward board is such a great idea! I agree you can always tell when a coffee bean is well roasted becuase you don't need much sweetener!
    Have a wonderful memorial weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That coffee shop looks really cute! And the pay-it-forward idea is great. Do a lot of people participate in it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing pics!!!!! You make Kansas look like more then a flat land :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is such a cute coffee shop! I think the pay it forward board varies. When I went in there they had two on the board. The same day someone came in and put $20 toward the board. Wichita is a good community about paying it forward. A lot of business advertise it and encourage it.


    When do you come back from Brazil?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It IS more than a flat land! I did grow up in the biggest city in Kansas so I got to do a lot of neat stuff. I really love it though and am thankful for such a great hometown.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so nice to pay me a kind compliment. I never knew about the coffee beans being so good that you don't need sugar. I always added sugar because that's what they do in Brazil! Espresso with massive amounts of sugar. However, I'm enjoying minimal sugar lately. Thanks for stopping by and thanks for linking up all the times you did! It was fun to see your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These pictures make me want to take a vacation in Kansas! I love the first photo. It looks like it could be a Wichita, Kansas postcard. Very pretty. I also like the one with the sun shining through the statue on the rock. Your Photography Friday posts have motivated me to work on my photo skills this summer. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We come back to CA June 20th, assuming the airport doesn't get shut down from Federal Police strikes (which they're threatening to do during the World Cup because that's when they're needed the most)... But if everything goes smoothly, June 20th! We're pretty excited even though we don't have jobs or a place to live lined up yet!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've never had someone tell me that before, thanks!!!! I do love Kansas though and if you ever vacation here I'll show you around town. You should work on your photography skills. I put my 20 week project on my blog because I knew it would help me stay focused and motivated.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You did a great job! I love your photos. and that pay it forward is such a fun idea!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I love the pay it forward board. They should put that up at the S&B burger join you go to =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Some great shots!
    Great to hear you're using Lightroom. I switched from Aperture to Lightroom late last year and it made a world of difference to my workflow! Definitely recommend checking out VSCO.co for some great film emulations.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Lorraine! Um ... what are film emulations? And is VSCO the same program on the smart phones? =)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Film emulations are what has been made popular through things like Instagram. They're effects that emulate the look of analogue films.
    VSCO has made VSCO cam - which you can download to produce "classier" film emulations, but they also sell presets for Lightroom and Photoshop that give you the analogue film look, if that's your thing. I love them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Ok, now I understand. I had no idea you could purchase all these extra things for Lightroom. I am still trying to learn it so maybe after that I'll look into some fun things like that. I feel like photography and editing is such a huge huge world that there is so much to learn. It's fun but a lot. Thanks for explaining all of that to me.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the Wichita photos : ) I am biased in thinking that Wichita is pretty, but you capture it in such a lovely light!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Ashley! I'm biased too and am 100% ok with that! Where are you living now? You are all done with vet school, right?

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS