4.10.2018

Celebrating 5 years of Marraige


Dave and I recently celebrated FIVE years of marriage in March. Since the first year we were married I always teased him that we were "one year old", "two years old", etc. This year, he finally joined in and bought me an anniversary card that was for a five year old and it said "Happy 5th birthday" and he wrote in at the bottom "to us". I thought that was clever of him. 

Last year I wrote an entire post about the things I had learned in marriage (you can read it here) and today I want to share another thing I learned this past year. Sometimes people will ask me what I've learned in marriage and when I'm caught off guard I really have no idea what to say and then I come up with some random answer. Anyways, I was recently asked that so it got my brain thinking and this is what I learned this year: your marriage doesn't have to look or act in a traditional way that other people expect. And I will explain.....

Growing up my Dad was the one who found good deals, was always making sure we were insured, that the oil was changed, etc. etc. And you know what? Those same things my Dad did are engrained in me and it's carried over into our marriage. At first, I didn't like it and thought those tasks were male related. However, I've come to realize that those tasks are ones I'm good at and it works really well in our marriage for me to tackle them. As you all know, Dave works crazy hours and he doesn't have as much time to focus on all of these things, but I do! He doesn't sit there and ponder about if we are overpaying for insurance, but I do. If the gas tanks are empty, I try to fill them. Dave does too but I think I'm just more aware of things like this. I even mow the yards lots because he is gone a bunch and I really don't mind. 

All of those things are examples in our marriage but really you need to figure out what works best for you and your spouse and be okay with it. I don't know if it will always be this way in our marriage but for now it is and we make it work. 

AND .... you know I got Dave to take pictures with me. He was a really good sport. We had not had moisture like all winter in Kansas until the minute we started taking pictures. It started pouring rain. So we snapped a few and then tried again a few days later. My friend Melissa, from Melissa Dinsmore Photography, took these photos for us and she did a great job. 

I have no idea why I thought this huge balloon would be fun but I did and I do think it is fun. =) 

Speedy also thought popping it was fun. And yes, that was part of the plan in our photos.
And aren't the shoes in my photos cute? Thank you TOMS....polka dots and pink laces...I was done for. 


Does marriage look different than you though it would? What are big roles you play in your marriage?

2 comments:

  1. These are super cute photos! I agree, the balloon is fun :) happy 5th anniversary to you! That is a sweet card Dave got.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous photos and I LOVE those balloons! Happy anniversary!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS