2.17.2014

Couve // Collard Greens

Have I ever told you that while I was in Korea I met Brazilians? It began when two Brazilian kids were placed in my class. Although it brought more kids in my room I'm glad they were there because there wasn't anyone else that could understand their little Portuguese cries of "Eu quero a minha mãe" (I want my Mom!!!). Well, I ended up having three Brazilian students on and off through the year. The last little Brazilian boy, well, me and his Mom 'clicked'. She ended up being one of my dearest friends during my time in Korea and I so enjoyed getting to spend time with her and her family. I'm secretly hoping Dave and I go to Rio some day (sooner than later) to visit them. 

Sweet Pedro 
Pedro's last day at school. He hugged everyone and then would lift them up. 

One Sunday afternoon my Brazilian friends had me over for a Brazilian dinner (heaven while in Korea). They had filet mignon, rice, beans and some type of 'green'. My friend kept telling me this is 'couve' and I would say 'what is that'? For the life of us, we couldn't figure out what the translation was. I even googled it and it didn't help me. 

Well, a few weeks ago I happened to come across this little recipe on Pinterest and walaaa it was right there. 'Couve' translated means collard greens. Now - before you x out of this blog post you gotta hear me out. These greens are AMAZING. They are tossed with garlic, olive oil and lime. Oh the lime. It's what does the trick. Also, these are super healthy. And did I mention the lime is really amazing in it? You gotta try it. 

Here is the original recipe in an amazing picture format. 


Here is a picture of mine. You can eat the greens by themselves or eat it with beans, rice and meat. 


Have you ever eaten collard greens? Do you enjoy greens? If so, what's your favorite?

5 comments:

  1. Just had some yesterday! Apparently they often use the green leaves from cauliflower (cauliflower is translated "couve flor"). I'm not sure if that's the same as collard greens or not...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, that hugging photo is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen! And I'm jealous of your Brazilian dinner, especially those collards! I've never made those before but I love eating them :) Stopping by from The Nectar Collective to say hello!

    ReplyDelete
  3. so, so neat!! love the pictures!! :) ok, so my husband LOVES collard greens & lime sounds amazing! i may have to make these for him & i may even get brave and try them myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. He is adorable!!! what an incredible experience and to think how many lives you touched! So cool! That recipe sounds yummy, I love garlic, and I'm sure that lime gives it a nice fresh pop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are so beautiful!! Hope you know that:) xoxo Katie

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS