2.28.2014

Photography Friday Week 8 - A Pretty Place


Welcome to week 8 of Photography Friday. Photography Friday is a 20 week challenge to help improve our photography skills. There is a weekly prompt / theme for each week that you can be as creative with it as you'd like. This week's theme is a pretty place and next week's theme is from a low angle. For further information please click here
_____________________________________________

A Pretty Place

After you see my pictures you might be wondering why in the heck I picked pictures of fields as a 'pretty place' - you aren't alone. Let me do a little explaining. From the age of 9 until my mid 20's people I lived in Kansas. People who moved to Kansas would always say "It isn't very pretty here". I thought that was the lamest thing I had ever heard of. I know - Kansas doesn't have mountains or beaches, but there is still something breathtaking about the prairies, the wheat fields, the sunsets and the wide open skies.  

If those people thought Wichita was bad they better double count their blessings that they didn't move to Western Oklahoma where I am. Western Oklahoma is dry. There aren't rolling green hills, there aren't beaches, and a lot of other things. However, there are plenty of pretty places here in Oklahoma - you just have to choose to see it. I've learned to appreciate the 'dry' landscape and the beauty that is in it. I also know if I live somewhere like this I better choose to like something about it because well, I live there, and I don't want to be miserable.  

The first picture I took is a field located a 1/2 mile from my apartment. For some reason it's simplicity is what struck me as beautiful. I always drive by this field on my way home from Walmart. I pulled my car over on the side of the road to snap some pictures and I had an old man in a truck stop wondering if everything was ok. He had the weirdest look when I told him I was there taking pictures. 

 ISO 100   f/5.6   SS1/800

The next pictures are from the walking trails near my apartment. What I love are the contrasting colors. I love the blue sky and the brown trees. Sometimes when the sun is setting it has a magical glow. I think that's what photographers call the 'golden hour'. 

ISO 800 f/18 SS160

ISO 100    f/5.6    SS1/200

Where is a pretty place you love to go? 
_____________________________________________

Sunshine to the Square Inch


17 comments:

  1. I love taking photos BUT have no clue what setting to use haha! So I'm always on P or No flash mode. hehe. So I cannot tell you what my ISO ect settings were. I really need to go for a crash course. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love those pictures! They look so peaceful. I am from MN so it's pretty flat and so called boring but I love it. It's simple but the never ending corn and bean fields are beautiful and peaceful in there own way! I live walking and running on my parents country road!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Johlet - you are not alone! I had no clue either for a while. Even now, I still am learning. Sometimes I still put my camera on P or CA. It's just how it is some days.

    Have you heard of 'Click it up a notch'? She has some basic DIY stuff for manual mode. I also just kept reading and reading and reading until it 'clicked'. Then I practiced.

    http://sunshine2thesquareinch.blogspot.com/2014/02/photography-friday-week-7-pretty-place.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Robyn! I bet you have some pretty scenery near your farm house =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Rachel! The flat and boring is pretty! I haven't ran many country roads but I really should while I'm here. I just have to be careful because there are a lot of truckers out here and I'd hate to be road kill.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah please font be road kill. Luckily my parents road is pretty quiet, especially on the weekends:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the second picture! Reminds me of some pics I took for a friend of mine. Definitely the golden hour :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I miss grass, so your pictures were absolutely lovely to me! I am tired of the brown sand :/ Thanks for hosting this fun link up!

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to take more pictures during the golden hour! It changes so much in photography.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sorry you are so tired of sand! I think I would feel the same way if I lived in the desert. Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this post for two reasons: the photos are great and they highlight the beauty of Oklahoma! I love living in OK and I agree that it definitely has it's pretty parts (and not so pretty parts, ha!).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Ashley! Yes, to OK having such different scenery. I'm always amazed when I travel to E Oklahoma because they have so many trees and rolling hills. It's so different from the desert out west.

    ReplyDelete
  13. LifeOutside of TexasMarch 8, 2014 at 2:12 PM

    The middle photo is my favorite. It's so beautiful! I love the colors and textures.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks! It's probably my favorite too. I love walking that trail and I usually stop there and just look at the pretty scenery for a minute before moving on. People probably think I'm coo-coo =)

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS