4.18.2014

Photography Friday Week 15 - Self Portraits that turned into selfies


Welcome to week 15 of Photography Friday. Photography Friday is a 20 week challenge to help improve our photography skills. There is a weekly prompt / theme for each week that you can be as creative with as you'd like. This week's theme is self-portraits and next week's theme is clouds. For further information please click here.  
_____________________________________________

Self - Portraits

Self - portraits ... I really didn't think it would be too hard. "I'll go to the park, take a couple outfits, snap a couple of pictures and walaaa I'll be done". But then, I started having an intense debate with myself (you know you do it too!) "I live in a small town and if I go to that park what if a church member is there and they see me posing and taking my own pictures? They would really think I was off my rocker". You have no idea how long I had this conversation in my head about going or staying inside. However, the 'staying inside voice' won. whew!  

Indoors! "This can't be too hard but I bettter look at my Photography Pinterest Board just to make sure I have a general idea of what to do". Whoooooaah! That was a mistake. People who take self-portraits are either a.) pros or b.) took at least 1,000+ shots of themselves to get all the good ones they did. "I got this!" and off I went...

I started with some workout clothes because I love work out clothes and spend more money on them than I would my 'normal' clothes and out of those 89 'work out' clothing pictures I kept *ahem ... 2! I was really hoping to capture my NB shoes because I currently live in those. The picture on the right describes how I feel about self-portraits. It's just awkward and I felt sooooo vain.


Pinterest had people taking 'self-shots' in the mirror so I took a few of those 50 of those and once again, kept 2. By this time I'm feeeling more and more vain. I mean who in their right mind would be doing this?

Here is where the tri-pod came back. I thought I'd take some serious and fun pictures. I personally think my pictures look best when I'm smiling. I like smiling and people tell me they like it when I smile so smiling it is  


plus a serious one ... 


PS - I use Pixlr express to edit this pic

and then ... I had enough with those darn serious poses and I busted out the Korean glasses with no lenses. I have glasses with no lenses, don't be jealous. Apparently, a K-pop star wore them so their wouldn't be a 'glare' when he was photographed and it soon became a Korean fad. Dave doesn't not think I look like a K-pop star when I wear these. He describes them as a "silly Asian school girl thing" ha ha ha. (Dave ... if you re reading this just skip to the end cuz the glasses are about to make an appearance.) I would give a pair away on my blog but I only own one #sorrynotsorry ;)

The glasses bring out my eyelashes. Don't you agree? ;)
 Enough of the glasses! I know! 

By this time I really felt weird and was hoping my peeping neighbor hadn't been spying on me. You know what made me really feel dumb? My pets! Our dog Static had been watching me the whole time and finally she walked up to me and gave me the 'you are ridiculous look'. How on earth can pets make you feel like that? I don't quiet know but they do! So, I brought her right into the shoot with me but she would NOT look at the camera. She knew better than to pose and be put into a blog post.


oh and here is a snapshot of my wedding band I got. It has pink saphires around the sides and  diamonds in the middle. Pretty, eh?


and then of all things, my cat gave me the look ... and that was when I finally put the camera down. 


Do you like self-portraits? Please, share your secret on how they work.
All you 'fashion bloggers', what is the secret to self-portraits? 
_____________________________________________

If you have a photography post ready please put it in the comment section and I'll stop by and see your lovely photos.

                                               Sunshine to the Square Inch




30 comments:

  1. I completely get the small town thing haha and it's SO true you're almost gauranteed to see someone you know! I couldn't wait to look at these! So many cute photos of you!:) I'll have to take an awekward work selfie today and share it! haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Random question, but did you choose your own engagement ring and/or wedding band? It's beautiful. I'm just curious. :) Peter and I went ring browsing together and I convinced him to buy a set I tried on because it was 50% off and soooo cheap. But now I kind of wish I would have been surprised. Sorry that was random.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad someone else understands the small town craziness. Thanks for the sweet compliment! I'll be over to check your blog post out =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh girl ... my ring is a massive blog novel in and of itself. While in Korea I had a general idea of what I wanted and I told Dave (who as in America ... poor man!). Well, the rings I had in mind apparently existed nowhere! The man at the jewelry store told him it was a 'Disney' ring. ha! So, he had to go design it and get it custom made. He chose the engagement ring and I picked out the wedding band. I didn't think it was a terrible process but Dave didn't have the most fun with that. However, I'm super happy with my ring! It's custom made so I know that it is a good fit for me and for what I want. Oh and we went to Kay's Jewelers and they did a great job.


    You should put a picture of your ring in the comments. I want to see it =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. One time I was taking food pics in my living room and my neighbors saw me looking completely nuts: wearing a bathrobe, standing on a chair, hunched over a mobile kitchen island covered with muffins...IN FRONT OF OUR HUGE PICTURE WINDOW! That's how you know that blogging has addled your brain. So I feel you on the awkwardness of public pics! Sometimes it's easier when you have a prop or someone else (especially a sweet furry someone else) in the picture with you. These are super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ha ha ha! That neighbor story is hilarious! I've stood in my big window before too snapping pictures but I don't think I got caught that time. #bloggersarecrazy!


    Thanks for the compliment =) As angry as I was after the 200+ pictures I'm happy with the ones that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. so much fun!!! :) i love the pics with the doggy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so beautiful--in both serious and smiling photos! I also love your cute little kitty cat. I'm quite the cat lady.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! You're too funny. Self-portraits take soooo much time. Like you, I always take about 100 and then keep 1. So annoying! And plus I've discovered that I look absolutely terrible when I don't smile. I do NOT have one of those "look out into the distance and be cool" poses. No. I love the ones from up above! Interesting perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks! Those darn dog pics cracked me up. She always looks away, always!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much, Jenna! I'm a cat lady too but unfortunately my cat needs a new home when we move. whaaaa! I'm gonna cry for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really don't know how people do self-portraits all the time. I was genuinely in a bad mood after all of those. Smiling is better! end of story.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh no! Why? That's the saddest thing!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amanda, I'm with you! For our engagement and wedding photos I tried to do the cool "look out in the distance" and I just looked awkward!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hear ya! If I do a 'serious' look and close my mouth my chin wrinkles and it's so weird! =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Selfies are always awkward in my opinion....I could never be a fashion blogger....also I have no fashion sense...lol. Loved your pics though. :)

    http://www.mywholesomehome.com/2014/04/wordless-wednesday-selfie.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. You're gorgeous, Beka! And it actually looks like you had some fun even if you felt awkward :p That's hilarious about your pets giving you looks!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are so kind! Thanks for the sweet compliment. I did have fun. It was odd because by the time I finished taking 200+ pictures I was super annoyed and mad but a few hours later when I went through them I was happy with the ones that turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I absolutely love this post. I just did my first solo shoot and it was sooo awkward. I'm glad I'm not alone :) Love the pictures with Static too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks, girl! Are you posting pictures of your shoot? I'd love to check them out. I love that Static pictures too. She just cracks me up. This weekend I ran a 10k race and she was there so I wanted a picture with her and of inevitably, she once again would not look at the camera.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just discovered this neat little project of yours! I have been wanting to start getting into photography, and this would be a great help for me!


    Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. You should totally join in! The project has really helped me stay focused and has kept me practicing my photography skills.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well, we are probably moving overseas and can't take him. He has to be an only cat so I'm praying God will find a home for him. It's emotional to giveaway your pet. =(

    ReplyDelete
  24. um ... I totally thought of you today! I was back in my big window with my cutting board and limeade in the window seal and I see my apartment manager out in the courtyard. Ha! I hope she didn't see me.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hahaha I'm honored to be thought of in funny food/drink blogging moments!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh, wow! You're moving abroad. That's so cool! Where to? I can imagine it will be really difficult, but I'm sure you will find a great home for him. Praying!

    ReplyDelete
  27. We are tentatively planning on going to Burma/Myanmar and Thailand. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Haha, these are great, good for you for doing this! I am so awkward in front of the camera but have made a point of getting out in front of it more this year and have definitely been following through, though I have not made it to the point where I can get a decent self portrait.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Good for you for getting in-front of the camera more. I think self-portraits, as with any photography, gets better with practice.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks admin for sharing up such an excellent and useful work through this great post and informative article.

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS