4.16.2014

Wednesday Night's Do Matter

Would you believe it if I told you I never really saw myself working with kids? I like kids, I just never thought that God would put me time and time again in a place where I would work with them. A few months after arriving in Woodward Dave and I began working with kids at church. 

Dave works with 5th - 6th grade boys and I work with 1st - 2nd grade girls. The most important part of Wednesday night revolves around stories of Jesus. Every story we share, beginning from Genesis all the way through the New Testament, is tied to Jesus work on the cross. The kids need that truth from a young age and personally, being reminded of the cross on a weekly basis has been a huge blessing.

                                 

See that little girl? We will call her "T". One night during the lesson I shared again how Jesus died for us and how important salvation is. I told them that they could ask Jesus into their hearts and to my surprise, that little girl raised her and blurted out "I'm thinking about it". I was kind of shocked but just from the look on her face I could tell she was serious and that God was working in her heart. I told her that it was good to think about it but more importantly she needed to actually ask Jesus into her heart. She came back with the same reply of "I'm just gonna think about it". I left it at that and prayed God would work. 

Fast forward a few weeks ... I was visiting with my friend and I told her that I just didn't know if working with these kids was my thing and I told her I was tired of it. I'm such a faithful and positive servant .... well, that night at church a different lady spoke (we rotate teaching days). The lesson finished and right before we closed in prayer T shot her hand up. I could tell just by looking at her that she wanted to ask Jesus into her heart. After prayer I went over and asked why she had raised her hand. She told me she wanted Jesus in her heart. I took her to a different room where we could talk and I didn't even know what to say. I've known for years all the verses to say to kids, how to walk them through so they understand salvation but I was just at a huge loss for words and I had to hold back tears of joy. I mean, I didn't want T to see me crying my eyeballs out - that would be weird for a kid. The good news is that God already did the work and even though I fumbled through my words T bowed her head and asked Jesus to forgive her of her sins. At that moment, I felt like the whole entire world should have stopped to sing the Hallelujah Chorus followed by jumping up and down with excitement. The world didn't stop and no one jumped up and down but I know the angels in heaven rejoiced, and I rejoiced! Want to hear something even better? It wasn't just T that got saved that night but another little girl did too. We really do serve an awesome God and seeing Him open the spiritual eyes of little kids is indescribable.  

Now on Wednesdays I can see those two little girls soaking up the Bible stories and learning. You can tell she is really learning and understanding. She also reaches out to other girls at church and I know that is just a fruit of the Spirit being produced in her life. I bought T a Bible and she LOVES it! She recently told me that she carries her Bible around because "it's really important and people need to hear about it". 


One time during the middle of the lesson, the little girl on the left, looked up to me and whispered "I like talking and doing cart wheels". So random but it cracked me up! 

I guess my question for you would be how are you impacting the world for Christ? It doesn't have to be on a Wednesday night. It could be through your blog, by ministering to your neighbor, by being a prayer warrior and countless of other ways. 

This post is getting linked-up over at Treasure Tromp for the weekly Treat Yo Self! Go check it out!

14 comments:

  1. Angel and I have a great love for working in children's ministries! It is so exciting to watch kids learn Scripture and gradually grow up and it's awesome when they take their faith seriously from a young age!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's awesome that you get to work with kids too. I'm always just amazed at hoe much they can learn at that age. I sometimes think their faith is so much bigger than mine.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this sweet story! I have worked doing music for the children in my Church for almost 2 years now...they have such sweet spirits and it is so amazing to hear from them and watch them grow in their testimonies of Christ. Thank you for sharing this experience.


    Stopping by and following from the link up! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is precious - I have benefited so much from teaching the littles at church as well as my own kids. It's humbling and beautiful the way a child's simple faith can inspire my own! And the random, heartfelt comments about things like "talking and cartwheels" just make it that much more fun - I still remember some now high school and college age kids by what they said to me as 4 year olds! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is cool to see the lights turn on and see the fruit of your labor. It is exciting to watch and be apart of children coming to know Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That is really great that you get to see God at work in kids too. I can't imagine teaching music but I bet that is a neat adventure in and of itself.


    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's awesome that the high school and college students had such a big impact on you. That makes me think I better be careful of what I say because they will remember it =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing! Thanks for sharing :) What an awesome experience to get to be part of.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this story - and there's absolutely no way I would have been able to hold back the tears. Seeing children love Jesus always makes me cry - and I always take comfort in knowing that God can use anyone - the unqualified, the unpassionate and those of us wondering what in the heck we are doing. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful Beka! I've worked in children's ministry off and on over the years and it's always hard to know if what you are trying to teach them is getting through, I love that you were able to be there in this moment!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, friend. Sometimes the kids are crazy wild but it is worth it in the end.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kids who love Jesus always amaze me. I'm certain their faith is simpler and more pure than just about any adult. Yes, I'm glad God uses me with all my bad and good.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree it is hard to know if they get it or not. It took about 4-5 months for the kids to finally quit saying "we need to be good to go to heaven" ... um, I did not teach you that, ever! =) Seeing God open a kid's heart is something so precious and I'm so glad God let me see that work.

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS