6.17.2014

Friends in Action - A way to bless missionaries


Have you ever taken a really long road trip? You know, the kind where you travel for a super long time and by the time evening comes you just want to get to your destination, find some good food and sleep. Imagine for a moment that you are a missionary. You pack up your family in a car and travel from church to church going from one side of the country to the other. The 'wanting to find a place to stay' is a common thing for missionaries. I grew up traveling like that and let me assure you, it’s great and super tiring all at the same time. I didn’t pay bills when I was a kid but I’m sure all the gas and hotel costs add up.

What if I told you there was an opportunity to help minister to these missionaries? Friends in Action offers just that! FIA is a wonderful program that finds people all over the country willing to house a missionary! How fun is that? You fill out a form letting them know a bit about you and sharing how many people you can host to spend the night at your house. If a missionary knows they will be traveling through your area Friends in Action will put you in touch with that missionary. What is required of you is the following: 
  • Feed them breakfast and dinner
  • Offer a place to sleep for the night
  • Visit with them, find out about their ministry and make a new friend

I think housing a missionary would be such a blessing, for both you and the missionary. Not only are you housing them but you are given a chance to make new friends, to hear about what God is doing globally and to pray and minister to a family serving Jesus. It's a true example of the body of Christ at work. 

I know this might be a foreign concept to people but I would encourage you to pray about it. Romans 12:13 says we are to be 'distributing to the necessity of the saints; given to hospitality.' This is a great way to put that verse into practice. 

I'll also tell you that I signed up for this program about a year ago but I'm sad to say Woodward is just too off the beaten path to bring visitors. booo! Maybe the next place we move we can house people. If you are interested in this you can find more information on their website here

What are your thoughts on housing people? 
Would you ever consider something like this?

6 comments:

  1. this is such a NEAT thing!!! i have never heard of this but i am definitely gonna let my husband know about this! it would be such an awesome experience!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like an awesome way to help with missions especially if traveling all over the world isn't an option for you. That's a bummer your not able to do it, wow you could meet some pretty inspirational people that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this before . . . it's such a great concept! I would love to be involved in something like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is awesome!!! I've never heard of it before. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have never heard of this before! Thanks for sharing! What a sweet thing

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a good concept! I agree, what a great way to put that verse into practice!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS