6.05.2014

The Great Sand Dunes - Visit #2


Hi friends! I'm here to share some more pictures of the Great Sand Dunes with you. We went last year for Labor Day and this year we went for Memorial Day! Dave asked me what I wanted to do and the option of hiking in Oklahoma didn't sound marvelous to me so I suggested the Sand Dunes. We invited Ryan and of course took Static again. This is one of the few National Parks that allow dogs so we take full advantage of it. If you haven't been to the Dunes I highly highly suggest it! It's only 2 1/2 hours south of Colorado Springs. You could even make a day trip out of it if you are in that area. It's about a 7 1/2 to 8 hour drive for us which I don't think is too bad. 

There is just something majestic about driving in the Rocky Mountains and seeing the beauty God has made! The first day we got to camp it rained. It rained all day and we ended up staying in a ghetto and gross hotel! The second day though, BEAUTIFUL! We started hiking around 10am and hiked to the tallest sand dune - Star Dune. The hike starts by crossing a little stream and Static found a ball and immediately chased it down and popped it. I'm guessing some kid left it from the night before so finders keepers, right??? I don't talk much about poop on my blog but you guys ... Static decided to do her business right in this stream and let me tell you there were kids playing in it! I was mortified when I saw her squat and immediately looked at Dave and said "This is your dog not mine", and walked away. It was so embarrassing!!! After that little incident everything was fine. Hiking in sand is hard but the view was 100% worth it. I also am super happy because last year I just about died going to 'High Dune' which is a much shorter hike but after a year of crossfit I can tell that I had much more strength and energy to hike farther. wahoo! I also took pictures in manual mode, which I didn't do last year because I had just gotten my camera. It was fun and I just love taking pictures, lots and lots of them. Hope you enjoy them too. 


Have you ever been to the Sand Dunes? 
Where is your favorite place to hike? 
________________________________________________
Linking up with Nicole for Treat Yo' Self Thursday

21 comments:

  1. What a gorgeous place Beka! Love that last photo. :) Also I miss the blue skies!!! Cant wait for those days to come back!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My goodness... those colors... that sky!!!! Beautiful!
    What a happy dog :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. ahh that looks amazing! and how awesome that you can bring your dog! :) i really really want to go there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh that is gorgeous! I never knew that existed! I just love sand dunes! I went to a massive one in Southern France last year and it was amazing! Hiking in sand is sooo tough though, good on you guys for doing it for a whole day! Also it's so crazy how sand dunes by themselves seem okay in pictures like that but then when you add a person in the picture it's just so much more impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been there but that looks like such a gorgeous place to explore!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that looks like such a great place!!! Love the pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't get over how absolutely gorgeous these pictures are. The image that came to my mind when I read "sand dunes" was completely inaccurate. I'm glad you had such a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks! Hopefully New Zealand will have some blue skies for you guys! =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Our dog was super happy. She loves hiking, climbing and exploring probably more than we do.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love taking our dog! She just has so much fun. Hopefully you can make it out this way some day and check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think I just saw a picture of the sand dunes in France. I googled 'top 10 sand dunes in the world'. I had no idea France had sand dunes. I agree that the sand dunes look so little until you put a person in the picture or until you are the one hiking up all that sand!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It is a pretty place. China has sand dunes. I just googled it =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I never pictured sand dunes looking like this either. My sister and brother-in-law once told me they were taking me to 'hike sand dunes'. I thought it sounded weird but thought I'd check it out and that is when I developed fascination for sand dunes. The first ones I hiked were in Idaho but these in CO are much larger and prettier.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! I love your pictures! So amazing! I used to live in Idaho, when I was a kid and we went to something that looked like the sand dunes, but I'm sure they were way smaller, but as a 7 year old I thought they were huge.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been there!!! I can't think of the name of that place but I know what you are talking about. My sister and BIL live there and told me they were going to take me to hike some sand dunes. I thought it sounded odd but once we got there I was mesmerized and have liked sand dunes ever since. How long did you live in Idaho and where in Idaho did you live?

    ReplyDelete
  16. One more reason we must move to Colorado at some point in our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have never been to the sand dunes but now I want to go! Ahh sketchy hotels....are always an adventure...ick haha Your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awesome views! And great pictures. I love how blue the sky is.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow, I never knew this existed in Colorado. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS