3.11.2015

How my Blog Name Came About


Today I’m joining in with Kiki and the circle linkup to share the history behind my blog name. I hope you will take a minute to visit Kiki's blog. She is a blessing to lots of women on the on-line world. 

THE CIRCLE LINK-UP

_________________________________________________________

I have shared a bit before how my blog name came about {original post here} but that was quiet some time ago and I have lots of new readers and friends since then. Today I wanted to take the opportunity again to share how I chose my blog name. 

I'm sure you have all heard the famous quote and seen lots of cute crafts with the famous saying, "you are so much sunshine to the square inch." That famous quote does play a part in my blog name but there is much more to it than that. 



First, to my family I am often referred to as being the 'sunshine girl'. 

I have my granny to thank for giving me this name. I was born in Brazil to American parents and my extended family didn't have the luxury of driving to the hospital to meet me. They had to purchase a plane ticket and travel far to meet or spend time with their grandkids. 

The first time my granny came to meet me I was already a few months old. My crib was solid wood with a heart cut out of the side frame. When she came into my room to meet me, apparently I peeked through the cut out heart and gave her a huge smile. She replied with "you're my sunshine girl!". 

When I moved home to America my granny and I spent lots of time together and just about every time we were together she would tell me that I was her sunshine girl. My parents, to this day, call me that now too so that is how I got that family name.



Secondly, I picked my blog name because of the spiritual gift of encouragement that God has given me.  

Did you know that the moment someone accepts Christ as their Saviour they are given a spiritual gift? It's a gift to use to minister to the body of Christ. You can read more about them in Romans 12. Mine is definitely encouragement and I hope that through this blog I can encourage those who stop by to read what is written on the pages here. 

Finally, I picked my blog name as a reminder to share the gospel. 

I hope that through this blog I can share the message of Jesus and His redemptive love for others. I want to share Christ to every 'square inch' I can. I do know that sharing has to be done wisely and you can't just beat people over the head with the gospel but I do hope that this blog can be a place where the gospel is known. 



This doesn't have anything to do with my blog name but aren't these pictures so pretty? They are from my days in Korea and that country will always always hold a special place in my heart!

What is the history behind your blog name?

PS - I have a short blog survey that I shared on Monday! Would you mind taking a moment to fill it out? It is ok if you are a new reader too! I'd love to have some input from you as well. To see the survey please click here

16 comments:

  1. I've actually never heard that famous quote so I just thought you were super clever in coming up with it yourself. So awesome to hear the story of how you're the sunshine girl and how your blog name reflects everything you're about! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog name reflects who you are so well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, this is such a great blog name! I never heart that quote "you are so much sunshine to the square inch", but LOVE it! And the personal meaning behind the blog name makes it even more special! I especially love that it reminds you to share the gospel through your blog! May we as Chritians SHINE through our every day living (and every day TYPING) to make Him known!
    It was so great finding you through The Circle's link-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such an encouragement to me and to a lot of people! So glad to know you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love this and I love that your blog name has so much spiritual meaning. It’s so pretty and meaningful :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like that quote! I've never hard of that one so I'm glad you shared it.


    I have heard of John Calvin but not of Abraham Kuyper. I'll have to google his name and see what comes up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprised that you (and a few others) have said they hadn't heard that quote before. I see it all over but maybe I see it because I'm just more aware of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Katie! I will 100% agree that God really is good!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Elle! I think you are the 2nd person that has said they hadn't heard that quote before. I think I see it around more just because I'm more aware of it with my family calling me that.


    I like how you said we should shine through TYPING! That's a good reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, friend! I feel the same way about you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks, Kelly. I'm thankful I could share this story with you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I LOVE that your blog name holds multiple meanings to you and your life. I've always loved and appreciated how encouraging you are (both in your blog posts and blog comments, too!) and that you shine His light through your actions and words, too. Thanks for being such a sunny light in the blog world!


    ...And for linking up, too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the kind words, Kiki! I'm just super thankful for the opportunities God has given me to share what I can!


    Thanks again for hosting the fun linkup! I know they are lots of work and it is appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have always absolutely loved your blog name! I love that it's not just super pretty, but has a spiritual & personal meaning as well. When I started blogging back up I knew I wanted a blog name with sunshine in it - I had my heart set on liquid sunshine, but that wasn't available. Only recently did I think of a suitable, equally sunny alternative!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thanks so much Kelly!


    When I was coming up with my blog name someone in blogger already had SunshinetotheSquareInch so I put a number '2' in it. Once I purchased my own domain it all worked out fine.


    I love your blog name! I think that is really neat. I always thought it would be fun to get a few of the bloggers that have 'sunshine' in their blog name and do a big fun giveaway!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS