1.12.2018

A look back on 2017



I'm sure if you are like me you can hardly believe 2017 is over. And now, we are already half way through January. It always go by so quickly. But I'm thankful for the year God gave us: 2017 was a good year for us.

Dave has continued to work at the ER this past year and he is a really good worker. He's consistent, calm and does a good job. (And I heard his co-workers tell him that so I for sure know it is true and not just me thinking it.) =) I worked at the Y for most of the year while doing photography as well. I finally took the plunge and quit the Y and am pursing photography more and also babysitting two days a week. I'm so glad God put baby Jonathan in my life to babysit. Not only is he a great baby but God knows I need some structure so those two days a week have really been helpful for me.

I've also attended Bible study with the women at my church and it's a blessing to dig into God's Word with them and share prayer requests. I'm really thankful for the local body of Christ. I've also been attending Bible School called Faith Bible Institute (FBI). We watch via video but we get taught Old Testament, New Testament and Doctrine. It is honestly some of the best teaching I have ever heard. It's so practical and rich. The classes are worldwide and if you are interested in going you can click here to see where they are offered. They go through the entire Bible in three years and if you finish all three years you get a Bible degree, which is on my life bucket list.

Here is a look from month to month what we did.


January
-The month I went with my parents to get their puppy, Rawhide. He's been a fun little guy and is very ornery.
-I started training for a half marathon. That was a big deal since this was my first big race since moving to Burma in 2014.
-I started my business this month. I purchased a logo, set up a website and started navigating how the heck to run a business.


February
-I hosted my annual girls Valentine party. It was a lot of fun and I hope to do something again this year.
-We went to Albuquerque for a missions conference where we got to see our dear missionary friends from Thailand as well as so many other people we love in Albuquerque. My Dad grew up in Albuquerque and we went there a lot growing up so it has been really neat to go back several times this year.


March
-I went back to Albuquerque, with my good friend Shenel, to pick up a swing that my Dad's Pastor and his wife gifted me. It was handmade by him and it now hangs on my porch. It's a true treasure. It was also really fun to show my friend around that city as she had not been there before.
-Dave and I celebrated our 4th anniversary. I don't know how that is possible but it is. Time is flying!
-We traveled from Kansas all the way down to the Everglades. We went through a lot of states but the important stops were Baton Rouge, New Orleans, Biloxi, Mobile, Pensacola and a lot of other towns in Florida. It was one of my favorite trips we have ever taken. I spent a lot of mornings watching the sunrise in Pensacola and we got to see a lot of really beautiful places and spend good quality time together.

*Side note - I'm so bad about blogging about our travels. BUT we pack so much into our travels I don't even know where to begin blogging about them. I'll have to work on that sometime.



April
-We got a new nephew! His name is Joshua and he is super cute and we love him lots.
-I  ran a half marathon. You can read the recap here. I finished in 2 hours and 13 minutes (and hope to beat that time by a lot this year). That was my 8th half marathon and after living abroad in Burma and resettling to life in Kansas this race was a big deal for me mentally. I'm so thankful God let me run that half.
-Speedy was born (even though I knew nothing about her in April, but God did).

This was Speedy the day she was born. Let's not pretend she was cute. She was ugly....




May
-I got to go to Seattle to visit my family. This trip was extra special because I hadn't got to see my brother since he deployed in January of 2016. My favorite things from the trip were: spending time with family, the tulips at Pike's Market and taking family photos. My family is moving from Whidbey Island and I sure will miss visiting that area. Also, all the besitos from my niece please!



June
-I went to Albuquerque again. My Dad's Pastor and his wife were moving away so there was a special service to honor them for all the years they served God there.
-I did BOGA water fitness. If you have this near you, DO IT! It was so fun and hilarious.
-Honestly, I can't talk  or write about June without tears. Losing Static was so incredibly sad. She was such a good friend and I'm glad God gave her to our family for the years He did. She was a good friend during some hard times in our family.
-Alisha and I went blueberry picking. I do this once a year. It's about a 1 1/2 hour drive and then we pick for an hour and drive back. It's a lot of driving but the scenery is so beautiful and peaceful. Plus those blueberries are amazing and are totally worth it. I still have some in my freezer as I type this.
-Dave and I went to Emporia to tour some Teachers Hall of Fame (Also known as Teachers hall of Lame -- a really horrible museum). We toured a really neat house but I can't remember the name because that is what happens with me and history. But the guy ran the newspaper way back in the day and he had Presidents to his house. So, that's that.





July
-BIRTHDAY MONTH!
-We started out the month by getting Speedy. Getting her was the best present I got all year. She's a good little friend.
-4th of July celebrations with Dave's side of the family is always lots of fun.
-Dave and I went to Colorado. We stayed in Denver for a few days, visited the Botanical Gardens, climbed a huge mountain and I saw the most beautiful rainbow I've ever seen. Dave would also probably like to note that I cried when I got to the top of that mountain. It was a funny sight but climbing the tallest mountain in Colorado was no easy feat but I did it!

August 
-I started babysitting sweet baby Jonathan. He comes to my house on Wednesday and Thursdays and has been such a fun little guy.
-South Korea reunion! Many of the friends I had met in South Korea all came to my house for a get together. It was a blessing to spend time with them fellowshipping.
-Idaho & Washington state trip. I flew up to Idaho to see my sister and her family then we all drove over to Lake Chelan and met my brother and his family. I got to take family pictures for all of them, we swam in the lake, cooked and spent time together. Family time is the best!



September
-Bike ICT. Our city closed a main street down and people rode their bikes. There were vendors and food stops and it was really fun.
-I went to Woodward for a weekend to see my friends. I appreciate the community there.
-Speedy and I went to Lawrence to get our photos taken in a sunflower field.
-Dave and his friend Ryan traveled to somewhere ... I can't remember where, that's terrible. But I'm sure they had a great time. =) I asked Dave and they went to Minnesota.
-I quit the Y!!!



October
-Woofstock with the dogs.
-I went with family to see Alton Brown live. He was very entertaining.
-So many photo sessions this month! It was a lot of work and I really enjoyed it.
-Hosted a pumpkin party with the girls. We modge podged pumpkins and ate and swapped gifts.
-Dave's birthday celebrations where we all brought a burger and did a burger tasting contest. Dave's family has the most fun birthday parties.



November
-Ran a half marathon where I almost pooped my pants......read about it here.
-Went on a cruise with Dave; our first and last cruise. You can read all about that right here.
-Thanksgiving
-Speedy helped me plant my fall garden. Then she dug up one of the garden beds and ate the bulbs. Let's not talk about it....





December
-I went to Kansas City with my Mom. We looked at Christmas lights and I bought furniture to turn our guest room into an office.
-Christmas! Last year Dave worked a lot during Christmas and it was hard. This year, he had Christmas Eve off and Christmas Day and it was so wonderful.



3 comments:

  1. A big year for you, with a lot of travels and a lot of fun times with family! Happy 2018 to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun year! Loved reading your recap! I was thinking about hosting a "galentines" this year... what kind of stuff do you do at yours??

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like such an amazing year!! Congratulations on your new nephew as well! Being an aunt is just the absolute best thing ever!

    Also, Boga water fitness classes sound like so much fun!!!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS