6.11.2018

Do The Hard Things

If you follow me on Instagram you will know that in my stories I keep posting about doing the hard things in life. My friend gave me a bracelet a year ago and on it says "do the hard things" and I've been wearing it and really thinking about what it means in life.

Here are two main areas that I have applied it to in my life (and want to keep applying) and hopefully it will encourage you too to keep going even when you don't want to.

Fitness - I love fitness! I run, swim, do crossfit and try to stay active. However, that does not come naturally for me. It's a choice I have to make every single time I workout.  Even today, the last thing I wanted to do was workout but I knew I'd be glad once I went. And I did and I feel so much better.

This past February, Crossfit hosted what they call the 'Open'. Basically, anyone worldwide can sign up to be in it. They release one workout a week and you compete worldwide. There are two variations to the workout but that's it. You couldn't scale everything down to make it easy. And you know what? That was the best thing for me! One of the workouts had pull-ups in it and I think my goal was to get 4-5 and I got TWENTY FOUR! I was shocked. And you know what? It made me realize I am stronger than I give myself credit for and that I can really push myself.

So many times when I feel burned out or just want to be lazy and do nothing I tell my self to 'do the hard things' and push through.

Bible Reading & Prayer - Do you realize how many distractions there are in life to take away from reading the Bible and praying? A million! I almost feel bad writing this because reading my Bible and praying shouldn't be a hard thing but disciplining myself to do it is a hard thing. They always say if the Devil can't make you sin he will make you busy. And boy, is that the truth. I'm still not where I want to be with this but I often think that if I can spend time on fitness I can spend the same time reading my Bible and praying.

I think our spiritual life is a lot like fitness in the fact that you don't always feel like doing the right thing but once you do, the payoff is worth it. Time with Jesus is the best way we can spend our time.

I don't know what the hard thing in life for you is right now. Maybe it's chasing your toddler, potty training, work, working at your marriage or just doing the daily life things. But whatever it is, I challenge you to dig in and do the hard thing. It will be worth it.

2 comments:

  1. I love this Bekka! So good and so true! Or I sometimes think of it as do the next right thing. Thank you for the encouragement!

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS