6.07.2018

A Coffee Date - Life Lately



Hi friends! 

I thought I’d pop in here for a little life update. A coffee date of sorts. I love sitting with people hearing about life. It’s one of my favorite things. 

How has life been for you? What did you do over the holiday weekend? 

Life lately has been so rich and so good and I can agree with the Psalmist that ‘my cup overflows’. God’s goodness in our lives lately has been so evident and I’m thankful for God’s work. I also know not everyone in life is in a good season right now and if you are going through trials my heart feels for you. I also hope you know that Jesus is with you in the ups and downs of lives. 

If we were at a coffee shop I'd suggest for you to order a breve. It's a latte but instead of milk it's made with 1/2 & 1/2 and it's soooo good!

Here are a few things going on lately:

First off, I got a root canal. And I'm so thankful! I know. How can that possibly a highlight, right? But I feel like I have had dental issues since Burma (that’s 2 1/2+ years). I got two crowns last year and they didn’t work. Boo! My dentist that I love doesn’t do root canals but God put a dentist in my path and he was able to root canal my tooth. 

Oddly enough I’m not scared of dental work, which is good because it took 2 hours and apparently my root was curved. I won’t go into details (because I know some people are scared of dental work) but it’s done and I’m so glad. My mouth was tender for a while but it has slowly gotten better and I’m praying this root canal will be a permanent fix for that tooth. 

I also thought that I’ve had minor health issues this year. I had  a rash head to toe early in the year and now dental issues. I think the biggest thing I’ve learned is to pray that your heart will be fully in the trial so you can have God teach you what He wants too. It has also made me want to pray for people with skin issues, auto immune issues and for so many people in this world who don’t have dental care. I feel for them and God does too. 

I also feel like Dave and I have had some really neat opportunities to do things for missionaries and you know we loooove that!

Back in February our missionary friends from Thailand came to New Mexico and we went to meet them. We got to take the younger couple (Reu and Sheryl) around for sightseeing and we also spent some really good time with the older couple too (Charlie & Lourdes). I just love those missionaries. They witness wherever they go and the fellowship with them is so fun and so sweet. When we said goodbye in Albuquerque we stood in a circle in a parking lot and prayed. I cried. I never like goodbyes and saying bye to people you love who you don’t know when you will see again hurts my heart. 

While we were in Albuquerque Pam (from Burma) messaged us and said she was thinking about surprising her parents for their 50th wedding anniversary and asked us to help her with the surprise. we gladly agreed and this past week she flew in. Rob and Sharon (Pam’s parents) own a real life buffalo and so I called them and told them I was writing an article on my blog about the hidden things of Kansas in Wichita, which isn’t a lie because here is my blog post ;) While we were taking their picture Rob kept asking, “Is everyone in the picture?’ and I said, “YES!” and then Pam came out from behind the trees and gave them the surprise of their lives. It was so fun!



This would be a blog post in and of itself so I’ll keep it short but God let my path cross with a missionary couple FROM BRAZIL who is here to deliver their baby. When we met they had no idea I was born in Brazil so it was really fun to chat all things Brazil. I won’t go into details (because they aren't mine to share) but this is a rainbow baby for them so getting to take their maternity photos and fresh 48 session was an extra blessing.  

If you know me you will know that one of my biggest passions in life, that God has put in my heart, is to be a blessing to missionaries. And honestly, it is so neat to just see God write this story in my life. I don’t seek out these opportunities but God brings them about and I just love being a part of His work. 

If we were together I’d tell you that Kansas is getting really warm. I'd show you pictures of my garden and tell you that I planned to plant less this year but planted more. I have 6 tomato plants but only 4 basil plants (compared to 8 last year). I’d show yo pictures of the nest filled with baby finch birds that were in my hanging pot on my porch. It was so fun to see the eggs, the babies and then today, they flew away. I’d also mention that one fell out of the nest, died and then was eaten by my dog…poor bird.  

Photography has been fun too. I got to shoot a second wedding and I get to shoot two more this June. I’ve decided being a second shooter is a really good deal because you get to take fun photos (like of the flowers and cake) but you don’t have to edit them. Also, it’s really fun and good practice.   

Alright friends, I’ve chatted enough but I really would love to hear more about your life. What is the weather like where you are? Do you have a garden? If so, what did you plant? What are you most looking forward to this summer?


Thanks for reading along and for joining me to hear about my life lately. 

2 comments:

  1. I’ve been on 4 short term mission trips, Vietnam & China 3 times, so when I found your blog and you were serving overseas it really intrigued me. Now that y’all are back in the states I’m still intrigued about your transition and everyday life. I don’t often get the opportunity to assist missionaries when they are back in the states but it’s one of my most favorite things to do. I have a friend that comes from China about every year and a half and a pastor that comes from Ghana and they stay with us. I’m believing for a home with a layout to accommodate missionary friends from Taiwan that come to the states every 2 years with about 15 Taiwanese students. I’d love to be able to host them in our home.
    I love how God puts these opportunities in your path and I’m so grateful that you share them. For the record - my favorite coffee house beverage is a cafe breve 😀! Can’t wait to read about your next divine connection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Debra - Hopefully you will see this comment because it isn't popping up in my e-mail thanks to blogger and it's commenting issues.

      Your trips sounds really neat. I want to hear more about them. As far as transitioning goes when we moved back ... that could be an entire book. God definitely was at work and I'm so thankful but my emotions were a wreck. Thankfully I got better over time =).

      The good thing about the Taiwan students is that if you house them Asians are used to packing together so you wouldn't need a huge house to accommodate people. It definitely can be done.

      AND HOORAY for breves! I feel like everyone should try one and if I ever open a coffee shop I think all the drinks will be made with half and half =)

      Delete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS