2.10.2014

Some insight into my favorite holiday

It's Valentine's Week! I have mentioned to you all before that Valentine's Day is my favorite holiday but I wanted to share why it's my favorite. 

It's kind of weird / funny how it all came about. See, I went to a Bible school back in 2003 - 2005. Of course, it was a big deal for the couples and yada yada but I distinctly remember two girls on campus. They didn't have boyfriends and instead of just being normal they would wear black and gray to protest the holiday. No offense to them, but I thought that was so lame. So, because of their black gloom and doom I decided to do quiet the opposite. Instead of pouting about my singleness during Valentine's Day I would buy myself a new Valentine's Day outfit. Then, somewhere the idea came to me that I wasn't the only single girl but had lots of friends who where single too and I thought we should all celebrate together. I would host a big get together to eat, we would exchange gifts and I'd try to have some type of hostess gift for each person. 

Last year in Korea I thought we should host a Valentine get together and so Alisha and I did. Korea has this awesome felt that sticks to a canvas. So, I bought a bunch of it, some canvases and all of us girls created away. I loved seeing the creativity and cultures from everyone. 



So, if you are single, my advice is don't pout! Enjoy the season of life God has for you and make the best of it. Here are 5 ideas of fun things you can do whether single or married. 

  1. Cards - Send cards to friends and family. Snail mail is something we all love to get. 
  2. The Elderly - I know lots of old people who have lost their spouse. Although I've never been in their shoes, I know they would love a card, a visit, or a little Valentine Day craft. 
  3. Your Parents - I don't know about you but the older I'm getting the more I appreciate my parents. This is a perfect day to do something special for your parents to let them know you love them. 
  4. Celebrate Yourself - Buy yourself some flowers. I've done it and love it. Buy yourself a fun outfit, decorate your apartment / house. Have fun! 
  5. Host a Party - You won't regret it! I loved doing that and I'm sure when I live around all of my girlfriends, I'll do it again. 

Can I just take a moment to share a picture of these flowers? Dave dropped these off at my work back in February of 2011. That was long before Dave and I started dating and long before I admitted that I even wanted to date. That little note meant so much to me and I still have it. Also, after we were married, Dave told me he drove to several places in town and bought different roses and then arranged them himself. Isn't that super thoughtful? These flowers are some of my favorite that I've ever gotten, mainly because of the kindness and thoughtfulness that went behind them. 


So, tell me, how do you celebrate Valentine's Day? Do you enjoy the holiday? Despise it? Got any other clever ideas on how to celebrate?

16 comments:

  1. Aww, those flowers are gorgeous! And I love the party you had with friends a few years back! I'm definitely of the--use it as another excuse to celebrate!! way of thinking. :) In high school my girlfriends would usually make cards for each other and go out together if we could. Even after I was married, my husband was working one year, so I went to a Valentine's Party at my college with some friends and had a blast! There's always a way to have fun and bless other people on Valentine's Day, if you choose to. This year, I made cards for my 6 younger siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so sweet! I love your craft party idea. I'm kind of ambivalent about Valentine's Day--I see why people say it's commercialized, we should express love all 365 days etc., but it's also really sweet to have a day dedicated to letting people know we love them. It doesn't have to be about the "traditional" concepts of Valentine's Day, and I think your awesome celebration in Korea shows exactly that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are some great ideas, I think doing something special for your parents it a wonderful idea! And how sweet is that story about your flowers, I love keeping all the little notes and cards, they are always so special:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun way to celebrate, even when single!

    I don't have any specific plans this year because we both have to work late. I'm sure we'll do something "special" at some point this weekend though.

    My Wholesome Home

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's ok not to have certain plans. Dave and I went out to eat with a gift card someone gave us and we also went to Walmart where I picked out flowers. It was simple but really fun. I hope you have a good V-Day with your husband.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wrote a similar post to this for Thursday! I've never gone all out for Valentine's Day, but I've also never understand why people hate it so much. These are some great ideas - and cards to my friends and family are going in the mail today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome ideas Beka! I am hoping to get cards out this year!!:) I love snail mail! Those roses are gorgeous! So so thoughtful of him!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll be sure to read your post. I like hearing other people's thoughts on the holiday. That's fun that you are sending cards to your friends and family. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. yay for sending out cards! Snail mail is the best, I agree. Dave is super thoughtful and I'm glad he is. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. oooh I like the idea of celebrating myself! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. yay!!! i absolutely LOVE valentine's day, even as a single girl. the pink and the hearts and the sparkle and the love. <3

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome! I'm glad other people love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love how you embraced Vday! That is sooo cool of you to host a Vday event with friends. Makes me want to do that. Also I love that your husband put them together hisself. Very sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Cody! You should host a get together, it's so fun! Even if it's low key it's good to hang out with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your welcome. Oh I so would do this but I don't have any friends.

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS