12.05.2013

A Brazilian Christmas Tree

Today I'm linking up with Rachel and Chelsea for the Expat Diaries. It's a monthly link up where you share you travel and expat stories.

Since it is December and the Christmas festivities are in full swing I thought I'd share with you a little bit about our Christmas tree in Brazil. When people hear the word 'Christmas' they generally think of cold, snow, fire places, presents, being cozy, etc. Well, Brazil is the complete opposite of all of that. It is located below the Equator and gives 'cozy' a whole new meaning. If cozy mea
ns 100 degrees and sunny then, yes, Christmas in Brazil was cozy. There also weren't Christmas tree farms nor did people put up lights and drink hot cocoa. However, what I do remember is that my parents somehow managed to find a Charlie Brown tree and the thing I remember the most from that tree were the red chili pepper lights on it. Lucky for me, I'm still going through family pictures and found a purdy little picture of our tree. As Charlie Brownish as it is, I love the memories.


I also remember that we got bicycles for Christmas one year and that was a hit! My grandparents sent us some money and how my parents hid 4 bikes from us kids - I'll never know. Who wouldn't want to ride their bike in 100 degrees on Christmas? I loved it. We even entered a bike contest in our little town.


This year, I'm in America having the 'classic American Christmas'. The big difference is that I'm married this year =). Dave and I got a real tree. Artificial tree? Ain't nobody got time for that! Bring on the pine needles and fresh Christmas smell. Anyways, about 98% of our ornaments came from Dave's collection that he grew up with. (My 230492304 pink ornaments weren't a major hit with Dave although if I asked I'm sure he would let me put them all over) As we placed ornaments on the tree I began to notice that many were international ornaments. I told Dave that whenever we travel to a new country we have to get something that can be turned into an ornament. Won't that be fun?


What is your Christmas like? Do you live somewhere cold? Hot? Do you have a favorite ornament? Merry Christmas season to each of you!

25 comments:

  1. I love those international ornaments! They are so pretty and it's cool that you will relive those memories every year. We haven't gotten a tree yet this year, but hopefully we will this weekend. I am so excited to start decorating. Ever since I can remember my grandmother would give my sister and I a new ornament for christmas every year and it would usually have something to do what an event that happened that year. Makes for fun memories. Merry Christmas!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that idea from your grandma and what sweet memories you will have. My grandma has a massive ornament collection. She showed me all her new ones this past weekend and it was so fun to see how excited she was about them all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh I love the idea of having international ornaments! mind if I steal that idea?! ;)
    ps, thanks for linking up with Treat Yo Self!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the international ornaments! we choose a new ornament each year and try to pick based off where we traveled that year-- it fits in with the international ornament idea! cute blog! XO


    welltraveledwife.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Steal the idea away! I think it is a neat way to get something small to take home but yet meaningful. Thanks again for hosting the link up =) It's fun to meet other people.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How many ornaments do you have? and from where?

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's such a good idea to have little souvenir ornaments. Two from Canada are on their way to you right now to add to the collection :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Fun! Love the international ornament idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're Brazilian tree is really cute! I'm on the same side of the equator {peru} on the coast, so the weather is getting hot and humid now that summer is hitting. It's funny trying to get in the holidays spirits in this heat! While those back in the states have been having all kinds of lovely hot coco and keeping warm, today I whipped up a mocha and made it iced!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay! I'm so excited to see the ornaments you sent. =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks! I'll collect some for you too because we both love travel!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks Lisa! That iced mocha sounds good. Are you living in Peru or are you from Peru? I hope you enjoy your Christmas season even with the heat.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm living here with my husband - he's the Peruvian one ;) Oops I just realized my typo 'you're' esh.. Happy holidays to you too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the idea of international ornaments! I should have gotten one when I was in Greece!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You could take a picture from Greece and modge podge it into an ornament =)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Get the best Pine trees as real Christmas trees to get the idea how you should decorate them at home.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work!. feandrea 67 multi level

    ReplyDelete
  18. Admiring the time and effort you put into your blog and detailed information you offer!.. xxl dog house

    ReplyDelete
  19. I found this is an informative and interesting post so i think so it is very useful and knowledgeable. I would like to thank you for the efforts you have made in writing this article. best grain free cat food

    ReplyDelete
  20. A great content material as well as great layout. Your website deserves all of the positive feedback it’s been getting. I will be back soon for further quality contents. Read More

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for sharing the post.. parents are worlds best person in each lives of individual..they need or must succeed to sustain needs of the family. What is the Best Size Cage for a Hamster

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is a great inspiring article.I am pretty much pleased with your good work.You put really very helpful information. Keep it up. Keep blogging. Looking to reading your next post. How to Treat Dog Ear Infection Naturally

    ReplyDelete
  23. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks Check it out

    ReplyDelete
  24. Thanks for sharing this information. I really like your blog post very much. You have really shared a informative and interesting blog post with people.. Soft Cat Food

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS