11.27.2014

Our Myanmar Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving from Myanmar! I hope you each have a really wonderful Thanksgiving. 


It is Thanksgiving evening here and we are winding down. We really did have a great Thanksgiving and I wanted to share what we did here today. 

I didn't think I would be too sad on the holidays because we haven't been gone too long but I was a bit sad this morning knowing family was so far away. However, Dave and I still had a really good time. I'm also glad Dave and I are a team because hopefully we will always be together for the holidays. 

God always knows how to lift us up and take care of us. I sat down and read Psalm 150 and it talks all about praising the Lord. It says we can praise Him in the sanctuary. We can praise Him in the firmaments. We can praise Him for His mighty acts, and there are so many mighty acts God has done for us that we can praise Him for. I was reminded that we can praise Him anywhere, at anytime. We don't have to be near family or in a cold winter to praise the Lord.  I was thankful for that reminder. 

I started my morning by going across the street, to the local market, to purchase more potatoes. I love mashed potatoes and I always make them for the holidays so I volunteered to make them this year. I bought a Kilo of potatoes for around $1. 

Oh and I don't have my gear to transfer pictures right now so you get a picture of a picture. Glad you all understand. =)

                               

There are four people who came over from Kansas to help with fun day at school. They were willing to give up Thanksgiving with their families to come and help with fun day at school. It has been really neat getting to know them. 

Before we devoured an enormous amount of food we each went around and said what we were thankful for. It was really encouraging to here of the many blessings God has poured out on each person. 


After we gave thanks we ate. A lot. As always, I ate more than Dave. #GoMe

Instead of watching football we headed out to go shopping. Our friends were looking for some local jade and gems so we went hunting for that. We stopped first at the largest temple in Yangon as they sell some gems there. 


After that we went to the local markets. They have gems, pearls, jade, fabric, hand woven baskets and much more. If you come visit I'll take you there. =)
     
 
Here is what I got from the market: the purple cloth is a wrap skirt that I paid a whopping $4 for. The rest are some fun goodies that I'll be sending home as souvenirs. 


I hope you enjoyed this post - it took a zillion times longer than I planned because of the wonderful internet in Myanmar. However, I'm thankful I can update even if it does take longer. 

Happy Thanksgiving friends! 

14 comments:

  1. That sounds like a really fun Thanksgiving! A skirt for $4? Definitely a budget buster, haha. I wish I could find that somewhere! (Well, I probably could considering that it's Black Friday, but I don't think my sanity is worth that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally enjoyed it, pictures of pictures in all! You guys are also SO cute in your matching stripes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loooooved this post, friend! So nice to see your smiling face. I'm glad you made potatoes for Thanksgiving :) I DO want to come visit! But we're saving up for Nicaragua, so I don't think it will happen. Boo.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The $4 dollar skirt was definitely a good deal. The women, about 85% of the time, wear long skirts so I think I'll be adding some to my collection.


    I can completely understand passing up deals on black Friday for your sanity. It is absolutely crazy! I went shopping last year with my sister-in-law and some of our family and it was fun. It for sure was crazy though.


    My granny is a greeter at Walmart and during Black Friday she has 2 police officers with here just for crowd control and so she won't get trampled. It's a bit crazy but she enjoys it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, girl! I love the matching concept too. =) I don't do it all the time but it is fun to do on occasions. Did you have a good Thanksgiving?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't you worry about not visiting here! It's a huge trip to come over here - both financially and physically. I'm glad you are going to Nicaragua again! Do you think you will get to see some of the same people again or will you go to a new area?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Each year they go to a new village, so we won't be going back to the same place.

    *Amanda* | The Lady Okie Blog

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved reading this!! So glad you had a great thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha Alex loooooves matching (more than I do) so I say we do it pretty frequently and I'm starting to like it more haha. My thanksgiving was good! We spent time with my family in New Mexico and just felt really refreshed after a few days off :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That's a lot of potatoes---yum! Shopping for jade and gems sounds so fancy, what a cool thing to do for Thanksgiving. Also, the temple in Yangon looks beautiful! I'm glad you got to mix traditional Thanksgiving food with unique Myanmar experiences. It looks like you had a great Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Local markets are fun to visit in the States and especially aboard, I like finding little goodies to take home for loved ones. The local market looks really cool. The bracelets are cute, and that tea set is pretty cool. It fund to see how you were able to celebrate Thanksgiving where you are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I apologize for the delay in reply! Lack of internet has really thrown me off with keeping up with comments.

    Thanksgiving was super different but really fun! It was a lot of potatoes but that's my favorite and I can eat a disgusting amount all of the time but I really eat a lot of potatoes during the holidays.

    I'm hoping to eventually purchase some nice gems from here. I don't know what I want yet so I"ll have to shop some more but it is fun that it is available here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Felecia. For the most part I do like the local markets a lot. You can find a lot of cute unique stuff. How often do you get to go to local markets where you live?

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS